Friday, August 21, 2009

A Crossroad, A Decision To Make

Its cleaning time again.. I did the same - sweeping and mopping the other department's area. The guys in my office - one of them actually did help me. Though with just a small task of sweeping our own office, while i mop the other department's area. But that's assigned by me. Cause i want to sweep and mop the other department's area myself. I feel that i can do a better job there. So i actually assigned him to do our own office instead.

Well, after all these cleaning, he told me the same thing again, "can you mop the floor once a week?" I mean, i'm a clean freak, i admit. But i really need things around me to be clean. Very clean. I also take my responsibility seriously. When i'm being assigned a responsibility, i make sure it is done very well. I take presentation seriously. And in this case, what ever the floor condition is, represents what i have presented to the one who assigned me the floor to take care of.

And there goes my colleague limiting my performance level. I have standards, personal standards, that i set for myself. Why is he trying to stop me from achieving my personal standard?! I always make sure that whatever comes from me is of best quality.

Oh ya. In addition, he told me that mopping everyday is over-doing it. Well, that's MY PERSONAL STANDARD. I'm not imposing my standards on you! He also told me that i'm "spoiling the market" by mopping everyday. And said that if the other department superiors see me mopping everyday alone, they would scold my colleagues. And SO, therefore, this particular colleague i have is stopping me from doing so often because of that!

And so, i asked him "so are you saying that you guys don't want to do anything, and leave everything to me instead?"

He told me, "No. I don't mind mopping too. But since you are doing it everyday, it means i have to mop more often too."

My goodness! Even so, isn't it true that if he mops that often, i still mop the same frequency as him anyway? Since we're taking turns anyway!

I know, probably he doesn't want to do it so much. Its fine! I can do it! I told him that too. But again he said, if the other department's superior see me as the only one doing, they would get scolded. So, i'm trapped in this situation now.

If i were to continue working so hard on the floor, mopping and sweeping with that kind of standard, i would satisfy my personal standards, but lose bond with my colleagues.

But if were to follow what my colleagues want things to be, i will be able to keep the bond with my colleagues, but instead, that would compromise my PERSONAL STANDARDS of doing things.

0 comments:


 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster